Everywhere people still use various types of bodywork for many health-related reasons, including to relieve pain, rehabilitate sports injuries, reduce stress, increase relaxation, address anxiety and depression, and aid general wellness. Bodywork actually has a long history in cultures around the world. The practice of using touch as a healing method derives from customs and techniques rooted in ancient history over 5,000 years ago.
Now various types of bodywork stand as highly respected holistic healing methods practiced across the world. Bodywork, refers to the application of various techniques to the muscular structure and soft tissues of the body that include applying fixed or movable pressure, holding, vibration, rocking, friction, kneading and compression using primarily the hands, forearms, elbows or feet. Deep-tissue massage utilizes slow strokes, direct pressure or friction applied across the grain of the muscles. Deep-tissue massage works deeply into the muscles and connective tissue to release chronic aches and pains; its purpose is to reach the fascia beneath the surface muscles. Generally regarded as the most common form of massage, Swedish massage involves a combination of five basic strokes and concentrates on the muscles and connective tissues of the body for improved circulation, relaxation, pain relief, and overall health maintenance and well-being.
- Whether your need is to have a moment of relaxation, reduce muscle tension or attain relief from chronic pain, integrative bodywork can enhance your overall sense of emotional and physical well-being.
- People who travel frequently, whether it is for business or recreation, are perfect candidates for massage therapy. Spending long stretches of time in a cramped seat on planes, trains and automobiles compress vertebrae, cause stiff and sore muscles,. and can increase tension.
- Bodywork can help the mind as much as the body. Many people use these treatments as a way to relieve stress and relax a little bit. But the benefits of massage therapy for the mind go beyond the person who had a rough day at the office and needs to relax. Some massage therapists are even being sought to help treat autistic children.
- Using bodywork to improve general well being for athletes and people who just want to exercise to feel healthy is becoming more common every day. With professional athletes relying on the benefits of massage therapy, everyday people are recognizing the need to do the same. Since they do not typically have the same physical endurance and ability that professionals have, the need may be even greater on their part to stay healthy.
- Bodywork can also be used as part of a preventative care program. This includes sports training, injury prevention, ongoing stress management, and more! Together, you and your bodyworker can develop a treatment plan based on your needs.
- Your treatment can begin after you've given your informed consent.